Thursday 27 September 2012

A shelf to keep the Mrs Happy

A Lovely reclaimed Kitchen Shelf


As my future wife has become obsessed with baking, the amount of books that adorn our kitchen has been multiplying exponentially. With that in mind I needed to take it upon myself to provide these pesky room stealers with their own designated space so that I could retain some useable space on the work tops in the kitchen. I went over to the local reclamation yard and picked up some lovely old scaffolding boards. After choosing which bit I was going to use very
carefully. I then needed to find some brackets to hold it up with. The local diy shop had the perfect pair for under £7 which was a bargain really. This was extremely simple to make. Only one cut was required on the board as I wanted to keep the end with the old end protector marks on it. Just adds that extra bit of character in my eyes. That and the fact that some of the paint was left in the holes, meant it had a lovely worn feel to it.




As you can see there are numerous little holes in the end from the protector which I removed. A hefty bit of sanding was required in order to get rid of a lot of the staining on it and with that I was able to add some accentuated curves in to the edges. All in all it was a very cheap project and it's a lovely little feature now in our kitchen. That and it's extremely robust!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts with the world :)